Work at the library on the Albany Tourism and Information Hub is well and truly underway. Library staff did a magnificent job of re-organising the Library to accommodate the temporary reduction in space and I trust our regular users are finding their way around now. As always please ask our friendly staff if you need help, we are only too pleased to help.
Next week will see us head into the most disruptive period in relation to library operations. This will be the time when the intense demolition of part of the Library building and clearing of the site occurs. As a result, Library hours will be amended and liable to change at short notice. This is to ensure the comfort and safety of Library users and staff as the builders manage this difficult stage of the project. After this phase, anticipated disruptions should be minimal.
At this stage for the period Wednesday April 26th to Thursday May 11th opening hours will be:
- Wednesday 26th to Friday 28th April Library opening hours 4 – 8pm.
Library hours commencing Monday 1st May.
- Monday to Friday - Open 4-8pm only.
- Saturdays - Open 9am-1pm as usual.
- Friday 12th May - Normal Library opening hours resume.
Library staff will be available daily from 9am in the sea container. Returns can be dropped off at any time, reservations can be collected and a limited borrowing service will be available. Our Rhymetime and Storytime programs will be held in the sea container during this period as well. Also, from next week the ‘library nook’ space will be enclosed & furnished to the left of the main entrance. This will offer an unexpected little extra lounge space for the duration.
We will keep you posted of the exact details of amended opening hours as construction progresses via our website, social media, information posters and onsite staff.
If you’ve been reluctant, reticent or simply IT challenged!!!! This period is a great opportunity to spend some time acquainting yourself with the vast online Library eResources available 24/7! Dive in and discover a world of knowledge, entertainment and fun, at your fingertips….”
A reminder of some of the changes we have made to the Library:
- All the computers from the study room and downstairs area have moved upstairs to the AHC reading room.
- The downstairs computer area is now used for the audio-visual collection, including DVDs and sound recordings.
- Two public computers have been made available downstairs for people unable to use the stairs.A public meeting room is available upstairs in the former AHC workroom.
- The junior area has moved into the Adult Fiction area.
- Large Print books will remain in the same place.
- The Adult Fiction Quick Pick shelves have been expanded to include more titles as most of collection will be relocated upstairs.
- The Young Adult area has moved upstairs.
- The New Arrivals/Reservations area will now hold selected titles from the Adult Non-Fiction (upstairs) area, named ‘Librarian’s Choice’The front counter area has been reconfigured and compressed to accommodate the reduced space.A library staff member will be permanently located upstairs to assist patrons.
Dont forget that the Albany History Collection has moved to the Cooperative (Co-op) Building on Frederick Street, along with the Albany Regional Family History Society and UWA Overnight Loan collections.
Thank you for your understanding and patience as we navigate the demolition and construction process.
Paul Nielsen - Library Manager