Information and Tourism Hub update
The tender process for construction of the new Tourism and Information Hub has been finalised and the successful contractor selected. City of Albany representatives will be meeting with the contractor as soon as possible to set the start date for construction. Throughout construction the available library space will be temporarily reduced and the lift will be decommissioned. Access to the first level of the library will be by the stairs (located in Adult Fiction/Large Print) only.
All attempts are being made to accommodate accessibility to the various collections. From next week library staff will begin reorganising the library space in preparation for the construction period. Due to the logistics of readjusting the various collections not everything will be immediately accessible, so we ask for your patience during this process.
We expect that the library will have to close for a short period (a day or two) at the start of construction and at specified times during the construction. As final details become available the library will keep all customers informed.
The following list is a dot point breakdown of the current planned changes to the library space. There may continue to be modifications to the plan over coming months as we assess the impact of changes and respond to customer feedback. The main changes for now are:
- The Albany History Collection (AHC - located upstairs in the library) will be temporarily moved to the heritage listed Cooperative Building on Frederick Street from the 13th March. We expect AHC collections & services will be unavailable for 1 week while we relocate. The Albany Family History Society and UWA Overnight Loan collections will also relocate to the Co-op.
- The study room PCs will be moved upstairs to the AHC reading room as the study room will no longer be accessible.
- The computers in the PC area (downstairs) will also be moved to the reading room as this area will now be used for the audio-visual collection, including DVDs and sound recordings.At least one staff member will be available on the 1st floor at all times to assist with computer services and retrieval of items from shelves for those unable to use the stairs.It is planned that two public PCs will still be made available downstairs for people unable to use the stairs.
- Current AHC Workrrom will be converted to a Meeting Room for public use.
- The junior area will be moved into the Adult Fiction area.
- Large Print books will remain in the same place.
- The Adult Fiction Quick Pick shelves will be expanded to include more titles as most of collection will be relocated upstairs.
- The Young Adult area will be moved upstairs.
- The foyer area will become a reading space for magazines and newspapers, with the magazine shelf moved downstairs.
- The New Arrivals/Reservations area will now hold selected titles from the Adult Non-Fiction (upstairs) area.
- The front counter area will be reconfigured and compressed to accommodate the reduced space.
A City of Albany representative will also be available at the library for the duration of the construction to answer your questions related to the overall project.
Rest assured the Library team will do their best to accommodate your requests but we would appreciate your patience, understanding and cooperation as we navigate this temporary disruption. If you are keen to know more about these changes and the plans for the finished Tourism and Information Hub, call into one of the information sessions with me next week. Please see below for the schedule.
Tuesday, 7th March 3:00 – 3:30pm
Wednesday, 8th March 10:00 – 10:30am
Thursday, 9th March 2:00 – 2:30pm
Friday, 10th March 10:00 – 10:30am
No need to book just drop in.
Paul Nielsen - Library Manager.